Thursday, July 19, 2007

10 songs I don't want to hear any more

During the week, I have to drive a lot, usually spending about two hours a day in the car. Because of so much time on the road, I listen to all sorts of radio stations. Some days I hit on a streak of good songs that makes the time go fast, but there are also days where I hear scores of stinkers.

Unfortunately, because of the repetitive nature of most radio formats these days, I hear many songs over and over and over again. It amazes me that a person can drive just about anywhere outside middle Tennessee and hear stations that have the exact formats as ones here locally. It's just the same stuff no matter where you go. I guess that is the nature of corporate radio.

Because of this, there are a lot of really good songs that I just can't stand anymore. The songs remain good, but I'm sick and tired of them. They provoke no positive emotion whatsoever from me. Also, there are songs I never liked that I really despise now.

So, here are 10 songs that I don't care if I ever hear again

"Dream On" by Aerosmith -- I'm not the biggest Aerosmith fan in the world to begin with, but I used to really like this song. But, for whatever reason, this is the song in their catalogue that radio stations really like to wear out. Recently, I took a 90-minute drive and heard this song four times. I'm not kidding.

"Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison – I love Van the Man, but this is the only one of his I ever hear. I have reasonable expectations. I don't expect them to play anything from the "Astral Weeks" album, but it would be nice to hear "Moondance" or "Domino" or "Bright Side of the Road" every now and then.

"Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger – I saw Seger at the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville circa 1987, and it was one of the best concerts I've been to. However, when this one comes on the radio, it's time to switch the station. This was on his "Stranger in Town" album, and there are at least five songs on the album that are better than this one ("Feel Like a Number," "Still the Same," "Hollywood Nights," "The Famous Final Scene," and "Brave Strangers").

"Can’t You See" by the Marshall Tucker Band – A flute fits surprisingly well into the southern rock sound. The singer really pours his heart out on this one, but after hearing him 12,000 times, I don't have much emotion to spare for him anymore.

"Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult – I'll always associate the song with the Saturday Night Live sketch in which they went behind the scenes to watch it being recorded. "I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell" is the famous line from that sketch. Other than that, the tune is pretty stale these days.

"Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes – I know this is sacrilege, but I need a breather.

"Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy – Sweet sassy molassey, I don't like this song or the band that plays it. Let me re-phrase that. I don't like the band, but I HATE THIS SONG. HATE! HATE! HATE! But, if it's Friday afternoon, get ready to have it crammed down your throat a zillion times.

"Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd – Again, here is a band with a pretty rich catalogue of songs, but this is usually all we here (along with "Gimme Three Steps" and "Sweet Home Alabama," both of which could have easily made this list). "Tuesday's Gone" is a really underrated song of theirs.

"Beast of Burden" by The Rolling Stones – When did this song become a staple of radio play lists worldwide? I can't get away from it these days. Not a bad song, but where is "Street Fighting Man," "Under My Thumb," or "Paint it Black"? Don't hear those much anymore.

"Small Town" by John Mellencamp – I like his stuff, but this one is overexposed big time. Stale bread loses its flavor quickly.

4 comments:

Joltin' Django said...

"Dream On" sucks?! Man, you are sooooo right (apologies to Barney Fife).

As far as I'm concerned, there're only three Aerosmith tunes worth listenin' to: "Back in the Saddle," "Let the Music Do the Talkin'," and "Lightnin' Strikes."

Bank it (apologies to George Plaster this time).

Anonymous said...

Really good list, Chris. I think you nailed all the ones I switch off from too.

Two Skynyrd songs that don't get the occasional play that they should are, imho, "I Need You" and "Was I Right or Wrong?"

Anonymous said...

One that has recently been added to my list would be "Hotel California" by The Eagles.

Chris Martin said...

I agree about The Eagles. I should have put something by them on the list. When I hear their songs lately, it is like eating dry, burnt toast.