Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Eating lunch with Elvis Presley at Captain D's

Dreams are among the most fascinating of God's creations. Why do they exist? When we go to sleep, why can't we just snooze away without something engaging our minds or subconscious or whatever you want to call it?

I've never put much stock in dream interpretation, but I guess they must mean something. The other night I had a dream I was eating lunch at Captain D's. This is odd to me because I rarely eat there, and when I do, I get my food at the drive through window. But as the dream began, I was sitting in the restaurant and looking down at my food.

As I was chewing, I looked up and Elvis was sitting across from me, eating his lunch. He looked a lot like he did on his comeback special in 1968. Tanned, dark hair slicked back with sideburns. He wasn't wearing the leather suit he wore on that show, but he looked like Elvis before the fall.

As I looked at him, I was shocked. I had a feeling like I was overwhelmed; almost frozen. I could not move. It was a similar feeling that people have when they dream they are being chased, but their legs are too heavy to move.

There was no conversation between us. He didn't say anything. He just sat quietly. He seemed very comfortable with me. The feeling I was getting from him was kind of like when you have eaten with somebody many times so there is a familiarity that doesn't require you to make chit chat.

While he seemed very comfortable, I was trying to repress my overwhelmed feeling. The restaurant was crowded, but nobody noticed it was him. It was confusing. I could not understand why nobody was noticing him. To use another comparison, it was like when a person dreams they go to work or school naked and are embarrassed, but they get confused because nobody seems to notice they are naked.

Unfortunately, the dream ended there. Don't know what happened after that.

As for what this means, I have no idea. I like Elvis' music, but I would not classify myself as a die hard fan. Maybe I had some Elvis residue swimming around in my brain, and it had to come out this way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, that was probably an interesting dream to wake from. Better, I must say, than a dream I had when I was young of Bill Cosby trying to kill me.

You laugh, but it was rather terrifying.

Anonymous said...

I remember one about dream in which Bea Arthur walked into the room with a bottle of canola oil and demanded to massage me ...

Talk about terrifying.

Joltin' Django said...

I'm not sure the food at Captain D's is deep-fried enough to beckon the King!!!