Thursday, February 21, 2008

Prediction: Memphis will edge UT in Saturday's showdown

I've watched a lot of Tennessee Volunteer basketball over the years, and a person could make a pretty compelling argument that Saturday's game at Memphis is the biggest game in the program's history.

True, it is not a conference game. However, Memphis is unbeaten and the top ranked team in the country, while Tennessee is 24-2 and ranked second. This would be a huge game if it were played in November much less late February. Both teams are fine tuning themselves in preparation for the NCAA tourney next month.

I watched Memphis play Alabama-Birmingham last Saturday, and they were fortunate to win. They trailed by seven with only a minute and a half remaining. However, they outscored the Blazers 9-1 the rest of the way and squeaked out the win. Frankly, I thought they got the benefit of a couple of calls from the officials, but the bottom line is they won.

This should be a fun game. It gives both teams a break from the grind of their conference schedules. Memphis has looked a little unmotivated the last couple of weeks because they play in a weak conference in which they are clearly the best team.

However, I expect them to be razor sharp against the Vols. Both like to play an up tempo style that should guarantee a high score.

Since the game is being played in Memphis, I think the edge goes to them. Experts say having home court advantage is worth four points in college basketball so expect the margin of victory to be about that amount. If it was being played in Knoxville, I'd be taking the Vols. I think it is that close a match up.

7 comments:

Mister Jimmy said...

Unless one team just destroys the other it probably won't change the rankings do you think? I guess some of that depends on what happens with UNC later. How UNC got to be ranked so highly given their schedule surprises me. What am I missing there?

Anonymous said...

THE MEMPHIS TIGERS WILL PROVE TO AMERICA THAT THEY ARE THE BEST AND WILL DESTROY TENNESSEE.

Thunder Son said...

Rivals.com ran an article where members of the 1976-77 Vol's (Ernie, Bernie, Bert, Mike Jackson)
compare tomorrow night's game to their January 1977 matchup (of two top ten preseason teams) with UCLA in Atlanta.

Chris Martin said...

mister jimmy wrote: "Unless one team just destroys the other it probably won't change the rankings do you think? I guess some of that depends on what happens with UNC later. How UNC got to be ranked so highly given their schedule surprises me. What am I missing there?"


I agree. If Tennessee loses, I don't see them falling far in the polls. The same goes for Memphis if they lose.

As for Carolina, I think some programs get the benefit of the doubt from pollsters based on their past success and tradition. That's not a knock on them, but I believe they are a little overrated this year.

Chris Martin said...

Tennessee 66 Memphis 62. Ladies and gentlemen: The Tennessee Volunteers are the number one team in the country. Too bad, Anonymous.

Joltin' Django said...

So much for Tennessee's "destruction," huh?!

My dad's first cousin got free tickets from a friend who works at UT. She had a co-worker offer her $500 for her two tickets. As much as I would've enjoyed going to the game, I think I would've taken the $500, treated myself to a big steak, and then watched it on TV.

Chris Martin said...

Joltin' Django said: "...I think I would've taken the $500, treated myself to a big steak, and then watched it on TV."


I agree. I would have loved to have been at the game, but some of the offers for tickets got out of hand.