Thursday, May 15, 2008

Good movie: Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Recently, I wrote about the good deals I've been finding in the Wal-Mart DVD bargain bin, and I struck gold again the other day when I got Terminator 2: Judgment Day starring Arnold Schwarzenegger for only $5.

I've never been a big Schwarzenegger fan. For a variety of reasons, his films generally don't appeal to me, but Terminator 2 is an excellent film. Directed by James Cameron, it has a taught script, but action and special effects really drive the film.

Schwarzenegger films don't usually result in Academy Award wins, but this film won four Oscars, mostly for sound and special effects. However, I liked the storyline a lot, too. True, the idea of even a Terminator appreciating the value of life sounds a bit hokey, but the filmmakers pulled it off well.

The only disappointing aspect of the film was the script's reliance on profanity, especially as used by the young actors. I know profanity is readily accepted in society today, but I think scriptwriters take the easy way out when they pepper their dialogue with it. Their job is to be creative with dialogue, but having an actor say a profane word that we've heard a thousand times before isn't creative.

Still, this is a good film. Keep checking out those bargain bins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. This is the best of Arnold's movies.