Thursday, May 1, 2008

The luckiest man in the world (this week anyway)

I don't play golf much anymore, but in my younger days, I played a lot. I played on my high school team (that wasn't quite the honor most of you probably think it was), and I played a lot into my 20s.

Perhaps the most coveted achievement golfer's desire is to score a hole-in-one. I've come close a few times, and I've played in groups where other golfers came close. It is a rare achievement so I always take notice when somebody gets one.

However, consider what Ted Kemp did recently. Kemp, who is a 12-handicapper, scored holes-in-one on back-to-back par 3s on his local municipal course in Muscatine, Iowa.

He got his first one using a pitching wedge from 130 yards. On the next hole, he nailed an 8-iron from 182 yards out.

According to published reports, the odds of getting two holes-in-one in one round are 67 million to one.

Well done, Mr. Kemp.

Now go away.

2 comments:

Joltin' Django said...

I love playin' golf; and I guess I'll keep lovin' it 'til the day I day.

I've never scored a hole in one. Hell, I've never come close - even when I've been playing on cheap par-3 courses - to gettin' me a hole in one.

Anyone who hits a hole in one has my undying respect. And they immediately become a subject of jealously and derision, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Forrrrrrrrrrty-seven!