Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Now it's time to feel guilty about being out of shape

Recently, a 76-year-old Nepalese man reached the summit of Mount Everest becoming the oldest person to ever do that. Everest is the tallest mountain in the world and is 29,035 feet high.

First of all, congratulations to that man. A young man would have to be physically fit to do that so for a person of his age to do it is an even more impressive accomplishment.

However, his achievement is making me squirm in my seat a little bit. Even if I had the desire to do so, there is no way my physical condition would let me climb that mountain. Right now, I get a rapid heart beat by walking to the mailbox. I break into a sweat when taking a shower.

Summer is almost here. There is no excuse not to exercise.

People, get off the couch and get to work.

3 comments:

Mister Jimmy said...

It is something that requires a life committment.
(I don't have a couch)

Joltin' Django said...

This should make us all feel out of shape:

The first woman in the world to summit the highest peak and complete a marathon on each of the seven continents is back home in Charlton.

Jeanne Stawiecki, 56, is a nurse anesthetist at UMass Memorial Medical Center. She is also a walking inspiration. She smoked two-packs a day for 20 years, quit and started walking. "Cause I couldn't run. I ran to the end of my street and coughed up a lung and thought, 'well this isn't gonna work."

But before long, she finished seven Boston Marathons, and she began to climb. Last February, she became the first woman to complete seven marathons on seven continents in 141 days.

http://wbztv.com/local/Jeanne.Stawiecki.UMass.2.587782.html

Chris Martin said...

That lady is remarkable.

And Mr. Jimmy is right. It does require a life commitment.