Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Creedence Clearwater Revival's 40th anniversary celebrated with re-issues

A benefit of John Fogerty's re-signing with Fantasy Records is that he appears to be allowing alternate versions of recordings made by Creedence Clearwater Revival to be released. This is especially apparent in the re-issuing of CCR's first six albums to celebrate the group's 40th anniversary.

Today, I picked up Cosmo's Factory, and it includes three bonus tracks not included on the original album plus extensive liner notes by rock critic Robert Christgau.

The three recordings are:

  1. A studio version of 'Born on the Bayou' that Creedence recorded with Booker T. and the MGs in 1970.
  2. An alternate version of 'Travelin' Band' (most notable for the lack of horns).
  3. A live version of 'Up Around the Bend' recorded on the group's 1971 European tour.

I picked this up at Wal-Mart for only $7. If you dig Creedence, this is right up your alley.

4 comments:

Mister Jimmy said...

CCR was good-time music. Before the episode where I donated all my 45s to Goodwill, I had a 45 of CCR's unedited cover of Suzie Q. You had to turn it over and listen to the continuation on the B side.

Anonymous said...

Must get this.

Joltin' Django said...

I know you're not much into punk rock, but you can find a blistering cover of "Fortunate Son" on the Dropkick Murphy's Live On St. Patrick's Day CD. (The DM's are good Boston lads, too!)

Chris Martin said...

"I know you're not much into punk rock, but you can find a blistering cover of "Fortunate Son" on the Dropkick Murphy's Live On St. Patrick's Day CD."


I don't know that band, but I can understand how that song would appeal to punkers. It is right up their alley.