Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Too much, too soon by stores trying to encourage Christmas spending

Last Saturday, which was the day after Halloween, I walked into my local Wal-Mart, and the first thing I saw was a Christmas tree standing near the front door. As I walked in, I heard Christmas music, and the store was covered (for the most part) with Christmas decorations.

Don't get me wrong; I love Christmas. However, I think a lot of stores jump the gun when it comes to using the holiday as a tool to sell its merchandise. I understand that a lot of retailers are concerned about Christmas sales being down this season because of our country's economic slowdown.

However, pushing Christmas merchandise this early is a big turn off. It seems like in recent years the importance of Thanksgiving has gotten lost in the shuffle as many folks sprint toward Christmas.

Let's hope that doesn't happen this year.

1 comment:

Joltin' Django said...

My only Christmas gift request this year is for my Mom to send an important print to one of her friends who owns a framing business. It says a lot about the current state of the economy that I'm not sending a list of books I "crave" to assorted family members.

This Christams "year" is gonna be a brutal year for a whole host of folks with things to sell.

God be with 'em ...