Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Retailers offering good deals this Christmas season

For those of us on a tight Christmas budget, the good news is that retailers are offering a lot of good deals to encourage spending. Last Saturday was the first day I devoted to Christmas shopping, and I was pleased with what I found. In Manchester and Murfreesboro, there were deals to be had. This was especially so at the Manchester Walmart and the Murfreesboro Books-A-Million. I like Books-A-Million’s new location in Murfreesboro. I could go in there and stay all day.

2 comments:

Joltin' Django said...

According to today's Wall Street Journal, the only two stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average - 30 in all - that are worth more today than they were a year ago are ... Wal-Mart's and McDonald's.

Back in the late-90s, I read a book written by Peter Lynch ... who was a mutual fund superstar at Fidelity at the time. He said in the book that he made a great many "retail" stock purchases after visiting stores and seeing them full of customers.

I have never - never been in a Wal-Mart and not found it packed with customers; and I have never in my my life walked into a McDonald's after first passing dozens of cars in the parking lot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If you're lucky enough to have enough spare cash to put into equities, long-term or short-term, you need to, well, you need to dump it into Wal-Mart and McDonald's. Come this time next year, you'll be glad you did.

Chris Martin said...

Good points about those two companies. I don't like McDonald's food all that much, but every time I drive by the one here in Manchester, it has a packed parking lot and a long line in the drive thru.