Monday, May 4, 2009

Country music dominating my listening habits these days

For reasons I can't explain, I have been listening to a lot of country music lately. Then again, good music is good music. Here are some tunes you might want to consider:

'Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line' by Waylon Jennings
'Flowers on the Wall' by The Statler Brothers
'King of the Road' by Roger Miller
'Don't Come Home a-Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind)' by Loretta Lynn
'Jackson' by Johnny Cash with June Carter
'Daddy Sang Bass' by Johnny Cash
'Mama Tried' by Merle Haggard
'Okie from Muskogee' by Merle Haggard
'Harper Valley P.T.A.' by Jeannie C. Riley
'Crying in the Chapel' by Elvis Presley with the Jordanaires
'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town' by Kenny Rogers & the First Edition
'Skip a Rope' by Henson Cargill
'Wichita Lineman' by Glen Campbell

3 comments:

Mister Jimmy said...

I like many of those songs, but for some reason, I find "Wichita Lineman" one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever - both musically and lyrically.

Chris Martin said...

I agree, Mr. Jimmy. It's one of those moments where the musical arrangement and words are perfect mates.

Joltin' Django said...

'Don't Come Home a-Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind)' by Loretta LynnOne of my favorite country tunes of all time.

Speaking of LL, I'm going to mount an online effort to get the Wilburn Bros. -- who not only published LL's early music, but also introduced her to a wide audience via their syndicated TV show in the '60s 'n' '70s -- elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Stay tuned (so to speak) ...!