Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The appeal of Kim Kardashian escapes me

I acknowledge that the title of this posting is misleading. I do understand the appeal of Kim Kardashian. She is very pretty and is on a popular television show.

I guess I do not understand why such a cult of personality can rise up around a person who has not accomplished much. I know that might sound too harsh, and I am sure she is a very nice person. I just do not understand how 'stars' of reality television programs become such objects of desire.

After all, reality programs really scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to entertainment. Her show, Keeping Up with the Kardashian's, is not any better or worse than other programs of its type. It is lightweight, and the story lines are predictably self-centered. The fact that it airs on the E! channel should tell you all you need to know.

Still, when I watch this program (and others like it), it makes me feel like the audience has thrown in the towel and will now watch anything. Because of this, Hollywood tries less hard to produce good programs because they know people will tune in like barking seals waiting for a fish.

Too bad.

1 comment:

Joltin' Django said...

"I guess I do not understand why such a cult of personality can rise up around a person who has not accomplished much."

This is America, man. You can achieve fame and fortune - hell, you can even be elected President of the U.S.A. - just by looking good or having a silver tongue.