I've been studying the sports career of Jim Thorpe lately, and a compelling argument could be made that he is the greatest athlete of all time.
Here is a partial list of his accomplishments:
1. He won the decathlon and pentathlon at the 1912 Olympics.
2. He played both college and professional football with such skill that he was inducted into the halls of fame at both levels.
3. He played baseball well enough to play in Major League Baseball for several years with a handful of teams.
4. In 1950, the Associated Press voted him the greatest athlete of the first half of the century.
5. In 1999, he ranked third on a list of greatest athletes of the century. Given how short America's attention span is, this is remarkable because his career(s) ended by the mid 1920s.
I may write more about this later because his is a remarkable story.