Thursday, September 9, 2010

'Rolling Stone' magazine picked the top 100 Beatles' songs; no real complaints from me

Late last month, Rolling Stone magazine listed the top 100 Beatles' songs of all time. Of course, lists like these are subjective and are compiled to stimulate debate. This is good if a person likes to debate pop music.

Here is their top 10:

10. 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'
9. 'Come Together'
8. 'Let It Be'
7. 'Hey Jude'
6. 'Something'
5. 'In My Life'
4. 'Yesterday'
3. 'Strawberry Fields Forever'
2. 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'
1. 'A Day in the Life'

Of these songs, three were mainly written by John Lennon ('Strawberry Fields Forever,' 'In My Life,' and 'Come Together'). Three were mainly written by Paul McCartney ('Yesterday,' 'Hey Jude,' and 'Let It Be'). Two were written together by Lennon and McCartney ('A Day in the Life' and 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'). Two were written by George Harrison ('Something' and 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps').

My favorite Beatles' song is 'Strawberry Fields Forever,' but I cannot really argue with 'A Day in the Life' being at the top. My favorite song mostly written by McCartney is 'Penny Lane,' but it was ranked at number 32.

If nothing else, the top 10 vindicates George Harrison's writing talents. He wrote 20 percent of the songs in the top 10, but he did not write 20 percent of the songs the group recorded.

Good for him.

No comments: