Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wal-Mart becoming a good resource to get inexpensive, excellent DVDs

At my local Wal-Mart, there is a large bin that is filled with discounted DVDs just outside the electronics department.

In the past, I haven't bothered to look in it much because it usually had films like Stroker Ace and other two-star movies. However, last week, I decided to check it out and was stunned at the quality films they had for low prices.

For example, I picked up Martin Scorsese's brilliant Raging Bull for only $5. It is a brutal and savage film that is not for kids, but it is remarkable. Robert De Niro won an Oscar for his portrayal of boxer Jake La Motta. It was the first time in years that I had watched it, and it surprised me how much La Motta's character reminded me of Othello. The downfall of La Motta and Othello can be traced to their suspicious and paranoid state of mind regarding the women in their lives.

Also, I picked up a three-DVD set of Gene Hackman films for only $13. The films were The French Connection, Hoosiers, and Mississippi Burning.

So, what is the point of this? If you like movies, check out the bargain bins at your local Wal-Mart. You might find gold there.

2 comments:

Joltin' Django said...

"Stroker Ace" is surely crappy cinema, but it does have some great one-liners. Like this deadpan quote from the guy who was John Byner's dad in the movie:

"I know nothing. I am merely the messenger."

I can't tell you how often I uncork that quote, and nobody, but nobody, can appreciate from whence it came ...

Chris Martin said...

It has always been a long standing rumor that Burt Reynolds declined to do "Terms of Endearment" in favor of doing "Stroker Ace." Jack Nicholson got that role and won an Academy Award.