Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Be wise: Invest in Barber half dollars and Indian Head cents

Since I was a teenager, I have had an interest in old coins -- mostly United States coins from the 19th and early 20th centuries. If I have learned anything, it is that the Barber half dollar and the Indian Head cent have been the most consistent performers over the years.

The Barber half dollar (known as this because the coin was designed by Charles E. Barber) has consistently increased in value. Made of .90000 silver, part of the reason for this increase is because silver continues to blossom in value (particularly in the last year or so). Another reason may be because they are generally more affordable than the Morgan silver dollar that was minted around the same time as Barbers (which were minted from 1892 through 1915). The Morgan silver dollar is probably the most popular non-gold coin.

As for the Indian Head cent, I don't have a good reason why it has been such a steady performer. Maybe it is because it was the penny that was used before our current Lincoln cent. Whatever the reason, it has been very dependable.

1 comment:

Joltin' Django said...

I have two Indian Head pennies in the top drawer of my at-home desk. I got both of 'em from my grandfather (who's been dead since '92), and I wouldn't part with either of 'em for the world.