Thursday, June 5, 2008

Time for an update on our friends in Barrow, Alaska

Even though summer is a few weeks away, temperatures this week are sizzling above 90 degrees for the first time this year. It may still be spring, but it doesn't feel like it outside.

As I've done before, when the heat gets to me I like to take a look at the temperature in Barrow, Alaska. Barrow is the northernmost permanent settlement in the United States and just knowing it is cool somewhere in our country makes me feel better.

The forecast there for the rest of the week calls for temperatures in the upper 30s with a chance of rain.

Interestingly, Barrow is currently going through a cycle where they have daylight for all 24 hours of the day.

Personally, I think this is pretty neat, but I bet it drives the owls crazy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't like the heat, but i don't think i could stand it in Barrow. To darn cold.

Joltin' Django said...

"The forecast there for the rest of the week calls for temperatures in the upper 30s with a chance of rain."

If the cost of living wasn't so high in Alaska, I could really see myself living there -- 'cause I'm part polar bear, you know.

I was in Hartford, Connecticut two weeks ago. One of my nights there, it got down into the 30s. Oh, how I loved that.

The temp in CT was 55 degrees when I got on my Nashville-bound plane (at 11 a.m.) It was 85 degrees when I got back to the Music City ... and I immediately started sweating when I exited the airport and hit the Wall of Humidity that surrounds the City of Nashville 'bout 9 months out of 12.

If I had a lot of money to spare, and if I didn't have important work to do, I would've turned on my heel and purchased a ticket to SOMEWHERE in the NE United States. I ain't nowhere ready for another Tennessee summer ... indeed.

Chris Martin said...

Good grief, it's hot today. Today was my church's homecoming, and in the past, we held our fellowship luncheon outside on the lawn. Fortunately, we are wrapping up an expansion of our fellowship hall so we got to have it inside today. I'm glad I didn't have to eat my fried chicken with my shirt sticking to my sweaty chest.