Sunday, March 1, 2009

Seven inches of glorious snow in Manchester

Anybody who watched television on Saturday knows the weather people were in full snow alert mode. The reports I saw called for one to two inches of it. Given how little snow we get here, I expected to wake up Sunday and be greeted by a dusting.

When I went to bed just before midnight it was sleeting. About 5 a.m., I woke up and looked out the window, and I could see the ground was white. Because it was still dark, I could not see how much snow there was, but I went back to sleep happy in the thought that we got a little of the white stuff.

However, when I got up at 7:30, I finally saw how much we had received. I took my trusty ruler out in the yard, and it showed that my neighborhood had gotten seven inches. When I did my measurement, it was not snowing at all. So that means, all the snow had to have fallen between midnight and roughly 7 a.m. That is a lot of snow in a short amount of time. I'm sorry I missed seeing it.

I guess March has come in like a lion. Significant snows in March are rare, but they do happen. Last year, we received three inches on one day in March. Additionally, the Superstorm of 1993 happened in March, and we got 10 inches here in Manchester.

So, enjoy the snow.

1 comment:

Chris Martin said...

It is now Tuesday, and some of the snow is still hanging on. However, it is mostly in shaded areas that rarely receive sunlight. The high will be in the 50s tomorrow, so goodbye snow.