Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pat DiNizio impressively pays tribute to Buddy Holly on CD

As regular readers of this blog know, I like music. However, I am sure most of you have noticed that I rarely write about current music. Sometime around 1994, I lost interest in the current music scene and became content with the music of the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Because of this, I am especially grateful to a co-worker who exposed me to a compact disc by Pat DiNizio who put out a record of nothing but Buddy Holly covers. I like Holly's music a lot, and DiNizio did a great job. He was able to interpret the music in a fresh way without losing the original essence of the songs. Appropriately enough, the title of the album is Pat DiNizio/Buddy Holly.

His achievement is not always an easy one to pull off. For every good album of covers (for example, Bob Seger's Smokin' O.P.'S), there are others that fail (for example, Michael Bolton's disemboweling of the song "[Sittin' On] The Dock of the Bay").

For those wanting more information about his album, click here.

By the way, DiNizio is best known for his work with the Smithereens (in case you did not already know).


1 comment:

Joltin' Django said...

Re: Pat DiNizio

Just got the invite: Pat's gonna be doing a "Living Room" gig -- i.e., Pat plays to a selected bunch o' fans in a selected city -- in Atlanta on 30th May.

I'll be there. Anyone who also wants to be there needs to contact me, post haste.

NighSeenCreeder@aol.com.

More info: http://www.patdinizio.com/

GOD BLESS THE SMITHEREENS!