Saturday, May 3, 2014

Redbox delivering movie gold

As much as I like going to a theater to watch a movie, I don't do it much anymore because it is too expensive.  Unfortunately, it is becoming tougher and tougher to find a theater that sells tickets to a matinee for less than eight dollars.  It's not that I can't afford the ticket.  It's just the principle of the matter because eight dollars is too much for a matinee ticket.

The last movie I saw in a theater was at the two-dollar theater near the old Hickory Hollow Mall in Nashville.  I'm glad I went because I saw Gravity and it is a film that really needs to be seen on a big screen.  On the negative side, that is not the safest part of the city, and I feel a little uneasy there after sunset.

Because of this, Redbox has become an invaluable resource when seeing films I want to view.  Of course, this means a person has to wait a few weeks/months before seeing new releases, but I think saving the money is worth it.  In recent weeks, I've caught up on many of the critically-acclaimed films from 2013.

American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Dallas Buyers Club have all gotten close inspection at my house in recent weeks.  Of that group, I believe American Hustle and Inside Llewyn Davis are the best.  Of the two, American Hustle is slicker, but it tells its story well and has a strong ensemble cast (Amy Adams, Christian Bale, etc.).  Inside Llewyn Davis is another strong film from the Coen Brothers and is a well-told story about a folk singer who is frequently unlikable but still compelling.

I guess the point of this post is that if a person likes movies but is sick of theater high prices then use resources like Redbox.  It does require some patience, but the savings add up.

No comments: