Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Unfortunately, Vanderbilt will post another losing football season

As a graduate of the University of Tennessee, I know I shouldn't admit this, but I quietly cheer for Vanderbilt's football team. Obviously, I've never cheered for them against Tennessee, but I do have a soft spot for the team. I've lived about one hour from the school for most of my life, and the first college football games I attended as a youth were Vanderbilt games.

Last year, everything seemed aligned for Vanderbilt to earn its first winning season and bowl berth since 1982. They had a lot of experience (especially on the offensive line) and talent. Here on my blog, I was among those who picked Vandy to finally get the monkey off its back, but the Commodores faded down the stretch and finished 5-7.

This year, I am not optimistic. The entire offensive line must be re-worked, and there is a lot of inexperience. Coach Bobby Johnson has been excellent since taking the job there. Even though this year looks like the proverbial rebuilding season, the program is still much better than when he took it over.

Looking at Vandy's schedule, I have a big beef with the school administration. The Commodores play their first game on the road at Miami (Ohio). I don't have a problem with them playing Miami, but I do have a problem in that it is a road game.

A SEC team should never play a Mid-American Conference (MAC) team on the road. Unfortunately for Vandy, the Redhawks are the favorites by many to win the MAC. They would love nothing more than to knock off a SEC team to start their season. So, thanks a lot to the schedule maker for coming up with this stroke of genius.

As for the rest of the schedule, I see Vandy beating Duke and Rice (both games are at home). Other than that, the pickings are pretty slim.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to listen to my head instead of my heart. Vandy will go 3-9 at best this season.

1 comment:

Joltin' Django said...

"Vandy will go 3-9 at best this season."

I agree. And I hate to say it.

Even though I have absolutely no personal ties to Vanderbilt U., other than living in Nashville my entire life, I always want to see Vandy's football team win (except when they take the field against Middle Tennessee State U.).

When I was in high school, there were two guys, "Tommy" and "Paul," who had a show on 104.5 FM (it was a classic rock station then). Every Monday after a Vandy loss, they'd play a parody song to the tune of The Band's "The Weight." And it went something like this:

Take a load off Vandy
I't's embarrassing
Take a load off, Vandy
Until they get out of the SEC


Indeed.